Alexander Ferguson - 2010
Contact: Dan Dornan
Team Name: Energy Busters
Team Type: ClubCampaign Goal:
The goal of our campaign was to save energy at our school by having classes turn off lights, computers and electric appliances when not in use. We also focused on education of alternative energy sources.
- A team of 6 teachers worked with a club of about 60 grade 3/4 students (almost all of our grade ¾ students chose to join this noon-hour club)
- We worked in small groups to complete the DC Energy audit activities
- We wrote an Energy Busters song
- We divided the club into 2 groups and they met either Monday or Wednesdays
- 2 teachers met with the club each day and this rotated so that there was always 1 teacher present who knew what happened the previous day
- We divided the club into groups of 4 and they worked to build models using Konnex solar energy kits
- We brainstormed ideas for our “Turn it Off” campaign
- Students shared energy kits and announced campaign and sang Energy Busters Song at an assembly
- Students made announcements over the PA and posters for campaign
The Best Part
Set a very specific target of percentage of lights/ computers off in classes that you are trying to achieve.
Comments about the Campaign
Students were very interested in being part of the Energy Busters club and particularly enjoyed the audit and solar model activities.
More students are making comments in the halls about lighting and computer use.
Did We Reach our Goal?
We achieved a 10% reduction in our overall school energy use compared to the same period last year.
What we are most proud of
The very high level of student and teacher participation.
There was an incredible commitment to this project on the part of the 6 teachers who were involved; Ms. Hruschak, Mrs. Pehkonen, Mrs. Wenzel-Curtis, Mrs. Kenna and Mrs. Forrest.