W.L. McLeod Elementary - 2010
Contact: Sam Lazar
Team Type: ClassCampaign Goal:
To get students and teachers at our school to reuse and then recycle paper.
- Evaluated paper use, reuse and recycling in our school.
- Designed a campaign – when, where, how we would recycle.
- Launched our campaign with a song during assembly (Our theme song is “We will recycle” to the tune of “We Will Rock You”.)
- Put recycling bins and posters in every classroom in our school, briefed teachers on what our goals were.
- Reminded students throughout the year during assemblies. Awarded a trophy (that we made from items found at the dump) to the top recycling and reusing class each month.
- Once a week, collected all the recycling from all the classrooms (and the photocopy room), then carried it all to the recycling bins in our town and dumped the paper in the recycling bins.
The Best Part
Having students design a campaign and then actually run it for an entire school year. For them to be involved in every step of the process, to maintain consistency in going to the recycling depot every week (even in the snow and -30 that we get here) taught students that being “green” is not about the things you say but about the things you do.
Keep on reminding students, be absolutely inflexible in your consistency and make the campaign a natural part of your school’s life. This way the program will continue indefinitely, rather than ending when DC ends.
Comments about the Campaign
Everybody was very supportive and pleased that we did everything for them! They just had to put their paper in the bins we provided and we did all the walking.
Did We Reach our Goal?
Definitely – but this must be an ongoing process, so it will just be something that my class does every week of every year.
What we are most proud of
The fact that the students have learned what it is like to identify a problem, figure out a solution and then just quietly solve the problem on an ongoing basis. Many students have also started recycling their paper at home...
The students have all participated and had fun whilst doing something really constructive – they deserve most of the kudos. I would like to thank DC for giving me the kick up the backside that I required to get the ball rolling.