Ethel M Johnson - 2011
Team Name: Lightbusters
Team Type: Two PLP classes, consisting of 24 students.Campaign Goal:
By turning off the lights when no one is in the classroom, we are helping conserve energy.
- The Lightbusters team visits each classroom, two recesses per week, to make sure that lights are turned off and energy is not being wasted
- If the lights are turned off in a classroom, the class receives a checkmark. If the lights were left on, with no one in the classroom, the classroom did not get a checkmark
- The class with the most checkmarks at the end of the year will win a trophy/lamp, which has a Compact Fluorescent light bulb
- By turning off the lights when no one is in the classroom, we are helping conserve energy
The Best Part
- We organized and hosted a pep rally mid-way through the year to inform the school which classroom was in the lead. During the assembly, we turned the lights off and performed a light show with colored flashlights. We entered the gym with the Ghostbusters song playing. EMJ was very excited and this really promoted our Lightbuster campaign
- On the same day, we also held EMJ hoodie day where students and teachers had to wear their most wildest hoodie
- We turned down the thermostat in the school by 3 degrees that day-saving energy
- We made it a contest and the class with the students wearing the most hoodies, won glowsticks
- Our teachers also wore there funkiest hoodies and the students chose 5 teachers who they thought was wearing the coolest hoodie
- During the Rally, our teachers modeled their hoodies
You need dedicated members to run a campaign. You must care about the environment. Every little bit makes a difference and you can have so much fun helping the environment.
Comments about the Campaign
They think our program is great. The students try very hard to have their lights off when they are not in their classrooms. They really like the trophy/lamp that is displayed at the front of our school. During parent-teacher conferences, our parents thought the trophy/lamp was awesome!
Did We Reach our Goal?
We are still working towards our goals until the end of the year. We are well on our way to meeting our goal.
What we are most proud of
We worked very hard to deliver an important message (conserve energy) to our school and it is working (assemblies, posters, school announcements, newsletter items, etc.) EMJ is doing an excellent job conserving energy.
What we are planning to work on next
We will continue to run the Lightbusters program at EMJ along with our weekly recycling program.
We would like to thank our staff and students for supporting our Lightbusters program and DC for giving us the opportunity to share our work. We have so much fun!