W.H. Cushing - 2011
Team Name: Earth Rangers
Team Type: ClubCampaign Goal:
To reduce the amount of snack packaging
- We had meetings
- We made plans
- We had each teacher record the amount of waste students were bringing from their snacks
- The Earth Rangers went around to each class and promoted the challenge of shrink your waste
- Teachers recorded the amount of garbage that was collected from snack for two weeks
- Parents were notified about challenge through our weekly learning log
- A prize was given to the class with the most improvement
The Best Part
Seeing the students so engaged in participating in positive change
Consistency of teachers involved over the 3 years
Comments about the Campaign
- They thought it was an excellent initiative!
- Parents showed interest in being involved. Parents saw it as a worth while cause.
- Students were excited and engaged and showed ownership.
Did We Reach our Goal?
Each class has seen a decrease in waste. It is a work in progress but awareness has started.
What we are most proud of
How actively involved our students are during the DC meetings
What we are planning to work on next
More focus on reducing and less on just recycling!