Glamorgan - 2011
Team Name: Green Team
Team Type: Grade 2, 4, and Grade 5 students ( 30 student membCampaign Goal:
- During the 2010-2011 school year, creation of Glamorgan’s Outdoor Living Classroom May 14 & May 28 – the outdoor garden will provide students with a practical space in nature where teachers can provide instruction in all subject areas.
- Members of Glamorgan’s Green Team (grades 2-5) focused on Waste Management, specifically introducing the daily collection and composting of all student lunch leftovers as well as all other forms of recycling.
- Daily classroom checks to reduce wasteful electrical consumption.
- Promotion of litter-free lunches.
- Initiating & promoting awareness within the community of the need to recycle, reuse, reduce & rethink
- composted all vegetable peelings, apples cores, orange & banana peels, coffee grains etc. that could be put in our outdoor compost bin.
- a continued emphasis on recycling of all paper, tin, glass, plastic and juice box/aluminum cans.
- daily check of all classrooms to see that lights have been turned off
- announcements in newsletters
- special presentations during school assemblies
- Earth Day awareness
- Wear a Sweater Day ( school furnace turned off) February 2011
- Wheel to School Day June 1st , 2011
- Gardening Club May 2011
- Construction of Outdoor Living Classroom ( Glamorgan Scool & Glamorgan School Council and with support of CBE and grants from Conoco Phillips)
The Best Part
- Student enthusiasm, dedication & participation on a daily basis participation
- Pride in promoting the 4R’s
- Parent support for the Outdoor Classroom
- Field Trips with Destination Conservation
It’s easy; all you need is team spirit, a love for the environment and a green thumb
Comments about the Campaign
That the children really enjoyed being a part of the Green Team
Did We Reach our Goal?
Yes, we have met our goals - Celebration of accomplishments including ribbon-cutting of the Outdoor Classroom on June 24, 2011
What we are most proud of
- The Outdoor classroom (fresh air, no need for electricity & enjoying the outdoors)
- Instilling a sincere concern and awareness for our environment, a sense of belonging and a need to improve and help reduce pollution and wasteful consumption
- Lowering operating costs for electricity expenditure
What we are planning to work on next
- Following the input of the student towards developing new projects
- Maintenance of the Outdoor Living Classroom
- Pursuit & Investigation of solar panels ??
- Environmental pursuits – no toxins in households
- Fossils fuels – negative impact
- Teachers Jonathan Miller & Maria Bianco for their work with the Green Team
- Support from our administrative team Mrs. D. Schneidmiller & Mr. M. Klaassen