Lake Bonavista - 2012
Team Name: Green Team
Team Type: ClubCampaign Goal:
We collected the garbage from several areas of the school and did an audit of the types of garbage collected in just 1 day. We found that 20% of the garbage collected (by weight) was in the form of packaging from pre-packaged foods. In meetings with the students team members we determined that reducing the amount of packaging brought to school would be our goal.
- We made an i-movie to show at an assembly to make parents aware of the results of our audit.
- We designed posters to be hung in each classroom presenting the challenge to students to bring litterless lunches every Tuesday and Thursday.
- We made presentations to each classroom at the school.
- We posted our campaign on each classroom’s blog to communicate to parents.
- Classes tracked the number of students with litterless lunches using a graph.
The Best Part
Completing the garbology audit taught us a lot about what makes up the garbage in our school. Tracking and seeing a reduction in the amount of packaging at our school. We enjoyed making presentations to the students at our school.
Having a way to communicate the campaign goal to parents through an electronic newsletter helped to get parents on board with our ideas.
Did We Reach our Goal?
Our campaign in ongoing. So far, we have seen increased numbers of litterless lunches in each classroom. We will do another audit closer to the end of the school year.
What we are most proud of
Many students have noted that this is a good idea.
We would like to recognize our Facility Operator, Aurele LaFleur for his hard work with our Green Team this year. He helps us recycle not only paper, but also bottles.